Monday, March 31, 2008

Book Talk #5 - Invisible by Pete Hautman


Invisible by Pete Hautman

LISTEN HERE:


music player
I made this music player at MyFlashFetish.com.

OR READ IT HERE:

“ Andy Morrow and I are best friends. Best friends share everything, especially secrets.
I am Douglas MacArthur Hanson, but Andy calls me Dougie. I am 17 and go to Fairview Central High. I am kind of shy, a lot different then Andy.
It doesn’t matter that we live in completely different realities—that Andy is the quarterback of the football team and stars in school plays while I spend most of my time working on an HO train set I have in our basement. If you asked Andy to name his best friend, he would say, “Dougie Hanson.” I am pretty much invisible except when I am with Andy.
Do I strike you as a little obsessive? My parents and counselor think so. But the truth is I am just very focused. So focused I built a whole town around my train set. Right now I am building a suspension bridge out of matchsticks.
Like I said, Andy and I share a secret. We had some bad luck with fires when we were kids. There was the tree house and the then the Tuttle Place. But everything turned out all right. I don’t see why everybody thinks my friendship with Andy is such a problem. Dr. Ahlstrom says I need to forget Andy. But I can't. You see we both made it out of that fire alive. That’s our secret. Andy is alive and he is my best friend. No matter what, he will never leave me."
(Booktalk by Tom Reynolds, Sno-Isle Regional Library System for the Evergreen Young Adult Book award, 2007-2008)
SUBJECTS:
Best friends -- Fiction.
Friendship -- Fiction.
Railroads -- Models -- Fiction.
Models and modelmaking -- Fiction.
Schools -- Fiction.

Featured music: "Am I Wry? No" by Mew INFO HERE!
Author's Website

OR CHECK IT OUT AT THE LIBRARY!

No comments: